Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sandhill Crane Colts at the Circle B Bar Reserve

My wildlife photograph (above) of two baby Sandhill Cranes was was taken at my favorite place to take a wildlife photograph; the Circle B Bar Reserve. These little Sandhill Cranes were not much over six inches tall at the time I got this picture. Over the last few years I have watched several sets of Sandhill Crane Colts grow up there. They are by far the cutest as relatively newly hatched chicks with their yellow fuzz and long legs. That is why I call them colts, because they remind me of newly born horse colts as they first learn to walk and run. In due time they will grow into a majestic bird that can be nearly four foot tall and have a wingspan of about seven feet, just like their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment